Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Love Makes Your Soul Crawl Out From its Hiding Space - Zora Neale Hurston


How many of you thought you would have the loveliest kinks, coils, and curls after going natural? Well I did. I thought that by ditching the relaxer 10 years ago, that I would then be left with a perfectly curly coif. So not the case. My NATURAL hair is a very loose wave with a kinky texture [similar to yaki hair], this is the way it grows out of my scalp, and once in a while if I am lucky, I will get a curl.


I don't fall into the traditional hair typing box. My hair in it's most natural state resembles a light blowout. Not a single curl in sight. That's pretty disheartening when most of my curlspirations have....curls, and honestly it has been pretty difficult embracing my natural hair as of late.


Part of me wanting to "go natural" was to be able to be FREE! And now I find myself lusting after curls I will probably never attain. Yet still, I spend my hard earned money on puddings, custards, and gels; on the search for anything and everything that says "curl defining" or hell, anything that says the word curl. Only to be disappointed that my hair didn't turn out like the curly on LHCF or some random model I came across on Google.

I think I have pretty much had it at this point, my quest for the perfect curly hair has pretty much taken the fun out of being natural, as I have pretty much substituted my pressing comb for a curl cream. - No I am not relaxing, or pressing; but I am done trying to achieve the perfect curl [whatever that is]. I am going back to basics, and making it what it should be about, and that is having healthy hair, and feeling good about my God-given beauty.

For everyone out there who is beginning their natural hair journey, or even thinking about going natural. Remember to embrace what YOU have. It's lovely to admire other curly girls, but trying to duplicate another head of hair will surely cause frustration. As no two heads are alike!

Sorry for the long winded rant!!! I ordered a ton of products this week for reviews, so I will be experimenting this weekend with twists/braidouts, and of course doing more videos. I was going to order Ohm Sweet Body Pudding until I realized that shipping was $9.00, a bit obsessive no? Considering the pudding is already $15.99...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog

Blog Archive